January 24, 2012

Nursery Project: Chandelier

Although I had originally intended to post my nursery projects as I was doing them clearly that did not happen :)  BUT I still have the pictures on my computer so it seems silly for me not to go ahead with them.  Today I'm going to show one of the easiest (and most fun) projects I completed for D's room, the chandelier.

I debated whether or not to do a fun color on the light fixture or whether I should do something more neutral (like silver) for when we go to resell the house.  In the end I decided that I live here now and I might as well enjoy where I live, so I picked up a can of kelly green spray paint and went to town!  I found this little chandelier at the ReStore (I LOVE the ReStore) for $10.  Total this project cost around $15.

This is what I started with:

As you can see one of the white plastic 'candle' sleeves was missing.  So I guess I did spend a little more on this project because I bought all new sleeves at Lowe's, I don't remember specifically how much they were (such it is when you're posting this 9 months after the fact...) but I remember that they came in packs of two and were in the lighting department under the ceiling fans (in case you're on the hunt as well). 

Before I started spray painting I wiped the chandelier down with a damp rag and then lightly sanded the entire fixture.  After I sanded I did another wipe down and then taped off all of the bulb holes (not sure what the technical term for that is!) and the end wires. 

As you can see I chose a bright green Krylon fusion paint.  It worked wonderful.  Here is a picture after (I believe) 1 coat:

After another 2 thin coats I slipped the new sleeves on it and the hubster installed it in our nursery!

Here's the finished product in (almost) all his glory (since he's missing a bulb - oops!):

I am SO glad that I ended up doing the green on this fixture.  Everytime I look up at it it makes me smile.  I often catch my little dude looking up at it too (I'm sure he's just checking out the shape and the contrast against the ceiling) and that makes me happy.  One thing I have decided (and I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before) is when it comes time to change out the bulbs I'm going to switch them out for round vanity bulbs instead of the candle ones that are in there now.  I think it will just make it a bit more mod and whimsical.

I'll be back later with more of our nursery projects and then once those have all been shown I'll showcase the finished product (which means I need to finish one more thing and take some more pictures - it never ends!).

Hope you're all having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment