March 25, 2011

Nursery Project: Dresser

Sick of hearing about the nursery?  Sorry, but too bad.  I've been working on a bunch of nursery/baby related projects lately and have a bunch of stuff almost ready to share - but not quite yet!  I promise to try and do some event planning posts soon!

My plan for the nursery included finding an old dresser and painting it in the green accent color we are using.  I searched Craigslist every day and scoured every local thrift store regularly in search of the perfect dresser (in the price I was willing to pay).  I was looking for an older, short dresser that needed a little TLC that I could work some magic on.  In the back of my head I was looking for a dresser similar to the one in our guest room:

One day I came across an ad on Craigslist by a guy who said he had multiple dressers and wanted them gone.  The ad had no pics but said to email for more details, so I did.  After a week or so I ended up getting a couple of photos of the dressers the guy had.  I wasn't sold on any of them 100% but Chris liked one of them so I went over to look at it...especially because they guy told me it was only $30!

When I got to the man's house it turns out he was well into his 70's and was just the absolute sweetest old man!  He was rehabbing his house getting it ready to sell later this year so he could get married.  While I was there he told me all about his daughter and her husband (who are the same age as Chris and I) and even pulled out their picture in his wallet to show me.  The dresser isn't at all what I was looking for, it is WAY more modern than what I had in mind, but it was in great shape, was solid wood, and that old man won me over!  So here's a cell phone picture that shows the before:

One of the reasons I wasn't sold on this piece is that I was wanting a short dresser to use as a changing table, as you can see this is a tall dresser.  Or so it appears.  The top piece of the dresser (where the 4 white drawers are) is actually a seperate piece that can be placed on top of the lower drawers or used seperatly.  We're not sure how we're going to use it yet, but isn't that neat?  Since the dresser was overall in good shape with the exceptions of the drawers which needed a new coat of paint, and the inside of them which had some crayon on them we decided to not paint the entire piece. 

Here's what we did:

Yep, I just painted the drawer fronts with the green accent paint and lined them with this super fun wrapping paper I found at Target!  When I saw that paper I thought it was perfect, but then it ended up being just $0.87 a roll - that's when I knew it was destiny!

So now I am really loving the dresser, but am still very concerned that the room is going to look like a mish-mash of random stuff pulled together. For now this is all I'm going to show on the dresser, but once we pull the rest of the dresser upstairs and more of the details start coming together you'll see more details of it (I actually haven't even put the whole thing together yet since I brought the drawers upstairs to work on and the rest of it is downstairs waiting for the room to get ready for it).

No comments:

Post a Comment